Skip to main content

Mary Ward Communications: Celebrity Slaps (response)



Celebrity slaps: 

    I would like to comment and reply to this blog with my own thoughts. Firstly I do not believe the celebrities should be held to a higher status than anyone else, this is because they are people like us and just because they are richer and more well known doesn't mean they are any better than the rest of us. Being famous doesn't make you any less or any more of a person, your actions should still be held accountable but you should also not be judged and critiqued more than anyone else would, everyone makes mistakes and someones social status should not change that.

    As for what happened at the Oscars, I personally don't believe either is in the right although I do agree with Chris Rock more and my reasoning behind this is simple. Jada Pinkett said herself she does not give "two c**ps" about what people think her and her condition, meaning she herself should've been ready for the jokes and criticism and yes although it was Will Smith who slapped Chris Rock, he only went up and caused that commotion after seeing Jada Pinkett's reaction. He himself found the joke funny but went up to "protect" his wife, Will could have easily said that they are not comfortable or happy with those jokes either during or after that skit so Chris Rock and others would know not to make those jokes. Even the screaming was more understandable than slapping and legally assaulting Chris Rock, Will Smith could've not went up and slapped Chris Rock but Chris Rock could have not made that joke, but with the information he knew he and everyone else thought the joke wouldn't cause any problems. Although no one is technically in the right Will Smith and Jada Pinkett could've made this situation very different, from setting boundaries and not saying she does not care when she obviously does and not assaulting a comedian, Who's job is to make jokes he knows can be made. 

    Now many people have celebrities they love and respect, personally I do not hence why I am more biased on the situation and not the people involved. I personally believe that no matter how much you admire someone you still have to acknowledge their faults and mistakes, for example I like Niki Minaj but I still see faults she has made and I won't ignore it or disagree simply because I like her music. That is a toxic and harmful mindset to have, letting someones actions go simply because they are more popular is not a good look or mindset.

    Now this isn't the same situation but another situation of a celebrity lashing out would be when Tobey Maguire, actor for spider man lashed out at the paparazzi for blocking his way while he was trying to drive. I personally do not blame him for acting this way because celebrities are constantly harassed and followed, this is what I mean by I don't think celebrities should be held to a higher standard. They are still people and want their respect and privacy like any one else. 

    I believe all celebrities should be held accountable for there actions the same as everyone else, we labeled them as inspirations and examples when they did not ask for that. just because someone is an influencer doesn't mean we should always follow their choices, ultimately if someone recreates the actions of someone famous and say they were inspired by them we shouldn't shame the celebrity for doing something when they never intended to have others copy them. There are actually quite a few people who based themselves off celebrities but the problem is they base themselves on bad people or characters an actor has portrayed. 

    For some final opinions and thoughts, the whole situation was a mess that most likely could've been avoided in many different was. Do I believe that Will Smith could've handled the situation differently? Of course. Do I believe Chris rock was in the wrong? No, he made a joke that he saw appropriate. These are all of my opinions for today, have a great day and always stay positive and safe! <33


Comments

Popular posts from this blog